It’s summer! What goes better with summer than an ice cream sundae? Ice cream sundae cupcakes!
It’s also time for short cuts. Use a base of a store-bought chocolate fudge cake mix and amp it up. Add the directed amount of vegetable oil, but instead of water, add 1 cup buttermilk. Instead of the directed amount of eggs, add 4. Instead of dividing the mixture into 24 cupcakes, divide it into 28 (okay, well that’s an ALWAYS when using store bough mixes if you want to achieve neat little cupcakes.)
So, we now have the chocolate fudge cupcakes – we need to add a scoop of vanilla buttercream frosting, drizzle on some chocolate syrup, add chopped peanuts and top it off with a cherry. Deliciousness in a cup that won’t melt!
* Don’t need that many cupcakes? No worries – freeze the remaining cupcakes in a tightly sealed container and they should be good for at least a month.
Ingredients and Method for Cupcakes (Yields 28 cupcakes)
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix (Duncan Hines always yields the best results for me)
- 1 cup buttermilk (in place of water)
- 4 large eggs (in place of number of eggs called for)
- Vegetable oil – amount specified on the box
Preheat the oven to 350° SIFT the cake mix first. This will eliminate those clumps that always seem to occur and will never break up when the wet ingredients are added. Add the buttermilk, eggs and vegetable oil and mix to combine. Turn up the mixer and mix for another 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
Ingredients and Method for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
(NOTE – this recipe will make enough to frost 12 cupcakes so please adjust it accordingly to your needs)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (or more to adjust to your taste)
- 5 cups shifted powdered sugar
- Milk to thin
Cream the butter until light and fluffy and add the vanilla. Turn the speed of the mixer to low and slowly add the powdered sugar a bit at a time. For the frosting to be scoopable, it will need to be thick but not too thick. If it needs to be thinned, add a teaspoon of milk at a time to achieve the right consistency.
Ingredients and Method for Toppings
- 1 jar maraschino cherries with stems (drained thoroughly)
- peanuts (chopped)
- chocolate syrup, chocolate ice cream topping or chocolate ganache
Drizzle the chocolate over the cupcakes. Sprinkle on the chopped peanuts. Top it off with a cherry!