When there’s a bonfire, there must be s’mores and everyone loves s’mores! These S’mores Cupcakes are made with the classic ingredients you’ve come to love in a s’more. There is a graham cracker bottom, delicious chocolate cake and gooey marshmallow filling. This recipe will yield 12 scrumptious cupcakes.
First things first – the cupcakes. I used my now favorite, mighty fine, Classic Chocolate Cupcake recipe that Sweetapolita blessed us with. The twist is the graham cracker bottom layer.
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or expresso
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin tins with liners.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each liner. Using the bottom of a small juice glass, pack and flatted the graham crust into the liners.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until graham cracker layer is golden and let cool.
- Meanwhile, sift all remaining dry ingredients into bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add all remaining ingredients to bowl and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed (As my sister found out, this is VERY important as the cupcakes will not crown if not mixed for the full 2 minutes).
- Divide the mixture evenly into the 12 graham cracker layered cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Cool completely. (Okay, I forgot this baking step – whooops – taste testers said they were awesome, so not sure if it’s necessary?)
Now for the filling.
- Cut a cone-shape piece from the middle of the cupcake. Do not cut through the graham cracker layer. (I usually do this to fill cupcakes and replace the top before frosting, but not in this case.)
- Spoon in marshmallow fluff to the top of the cupcake.
Almost done. . .Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (more or less needed to achieve desired consistency) milk or heavy cream
- Cream the butter for a few minutes in a mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Turn down the mixer to low speed and add the dry ingredients until incorporated into the butter.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and add the vanilla, salt and milk/cream and best for 3 minutes. (Add more sugar if frosting needs to be stiffer, add more liquid if needs to be thinned out.)
- Using an Ateco #806 tip, pipe a swirl of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Add a mini-marshmallow and piece of graham cracker to finish off the cupcakes.